Lifting logs, throwing kegs, and pulling trucks might seem like things reserved for superheroes and giant dudes. But I have great news: YOU CAN DO IT TOO!
These movements – and lots more – are all part of the sport of Strongman. Strongman encompasses so many movements that it can be hard to explain, but basically it involves lifting odd objects (i.e. things that aren’t normal barbells) and moving them from one place to another. That could mean lifting a log from the ground to over your head, or loading a stone to a platform, or carrying a sandbag as far as you can. The possibilities are endless – which is part of what makes it so fun!
It’s easy to see why the sport could be intimidating or seem out of reach. But the reality is that Strongman is approachable for so many people!
At Power Plant, we love introducing people to Strongman. We have group training sessions every Saturday that are led by our expert team of experienced coaches. People who have never touched an implement before train alongside people who compete at National and International levels. We get just as stoked for someone’s first atlas stone load as we do for someone lifting the heaviest weights we have… Actually, we probably get more excited for the first-timers because we know how much fun the sport is and we’re pumped for what they have in store 🙂
We have implements that are approachable for beginners, and coaches who love teaching the technical side of the sport. We’ve trained people who range in age from 6 to 70+ with a variety of experience levels and goals. And we host a range of events every year to cover all different ability levels…
- Beer Muscles: This is our sanctioned (meaning it’s a qualifier for Strongman Nationals) competition held every August at 2SP Brewing Company in Aston. It’s for intermediate competitors, and people who like their Strongman with a side of don’t-take-yourself-too-seriously fun.
- All Out Strongfest: We host this competition every other year as a fundraiser for The Attic, an LGBTQ+ youth center in Philly. There are no weight classes or gender divisions, we generally wear Halloween costumes, and it’s extra super beginner friendly!
- All Valley Strongman Championship: This is a smaller sanctioned competition held in the winter in West Chester. It’s “Karate Kid”-themed, so we wear headbands and play 80s music. It’s a qualifier for Strongman Nationals, and is geared toward people who want to dip their toes into sanctioned competition in a low-pressure environment (and also wear headbands).
- The Catalina Strongman Mixer: New in 2023! A partner Strongman competition hosted in the spring in Delaware. This is a great way to test the waters of competition with the bonus of teamwork!
- The Reckoning: We throw an in-house competition just for the Power Plant Community. The coaches choose weights and events that fit our current members’ goals and abilities. We train together for it, loosely keep score, and generally have a good time. It’s ideal for people who want something specific to train for, but ultimately just have fun!
There really is something for everyone! If you’re curious about Strongman-style training, we’d love to introduce you!
Here are a couple ways to get started:
- Set up a chat with a coach to see if Strongman is a good fit for you. You can click here to book a time.
- Drop in for a Strongman Saturday Session! If you have some lifting experience and want to see what Strongman is about, this is a great option. You can grab a pass at this link: Strongman Saturday Pass
- Come to a competition! Seeing Strongman in person is a great way to get a feel for the community and what the sport looks like at a local level. Our two most spectator-friendly competitions are All Valley Strongman Championship (Feb. 11, 2023 at Gage Strength in West Chester) and Beer Muscles (Aug. 26, 2023 at 2SP Brewing in Aston).
- Follow our Instagram account – @powerplantstrength – to see what Strongman shenanigans we’re up to and what our Strongman community looks like.